I, Too, Need A Wife!

My heart sank a little as i caught sight of Amrit carrying his lunch box at office entrance door. I had again missed my breakfast this morning as my domestic help was late to arrive. Life has gone topsy-turvy since the baby arrived. I had missed breakfast on earlier occasions too but that was because I was busy watching movies till wee hours and had slept in late. But now having breakfast is related to arrival time of maid. Well, I must say Amrit has a loving wife taking care of him and his meals! With heavy steps I walked in through the door and spotted Sachin. "Congratulations Sachin on winning the walkathon yesterday!" I called out as I settled at my desk for the day ahead. "It's great that you are such a fitness freak and never miss your routine. How do you do it yaar? With baby I can hardly make time for exercise." "That's the mantra Aditi. You have to stick to the routine no matter what" advised Sachin "like I have entrusted my kids' morning activities to my wife. Getting them ready for school, dropping them, getting milk and veggies for the day and getting my clothes and things ready for office, she does it all. I stick to my regime!" "Lucky you", I sighed and got busy with the files on my desk.

"Do you know Varun's pictures have been selected for exhibition at city art gallery to be held next month. You must have a look at them. He has captured the wildlife at Corbett national park beautifully. He really makes time for his hobbies" Shikha filled me in as we met for our coffee at the canteen. "My mind wandered to the days when writing was my hobby and I had time for it. But that was probably in my previous birth because I don't remember when was the last time I had read a book. Varun's life is different as he has an efficient wife who takes care of his parents and kids while he takes his trips to wildlife. I was brought back to present as my boss's voice rumbled in the room and I remembered about my leave application that I had submitted earlier. I decided to talk to him right then. "No Aditi, I can't afford to sanction you a week's leave. There's just so much of work in office. Please manage with two days" said my boss leaving me flabbergasted. "But sir I have my promotion exams approaching. You know my husband stays in a different city and its just not possible to study with a year old baby after the domestic help has left in evening." "I completely understand you. But you know I appeared for my exams in a similar situation. My son was a year and a half old and you know how they are full of energy at this age. I couldn't dare to get my laptop in his presence. It was only after my wife put him to bed, I could study peacefully. And as you know I was promoted. You need to learn to manage." But sir, did you just forget that I am the "wife" in my family. Anyways!

I had had enough today. By the end of the day, I was pitying myself for skipping breakfast, not exercising, devoting no time to hobbies and not studying. I was determined to get hold of my life and put it back on track, right today. With iron determination, I headed home in evening. During the 20 minutes drive to my apartments, I had fixed my entire routine beginning the next day and had promised myself to stick to it, no matter what. I have to take control..... I can't just let things be anymore....it has to begin with the maid, she has to come earlier everyday which gives me 30 minutes daily for yoga...I must get into my old jeans....and no more skipping breakfast....and I am not going to ignore myself anymore.....it's high time I get my scrapbook from that old trunk in the attic....I am going to start writing again and who knows I might start my blog in a few days and yes not to forget my exams....I have always been sincere with my work....I cannot let this opportunity go....I must get this promotion. Taking a mental note of everything I arrived home. As the door opened, baby ran towards me. As I took him, he wrapped his tiny arms around my neck and placed a few slurpy kisses on my face. Ah bliss!

But it's time I make a few things clear, so I called the maid but before I could utter a word she said "madam, kal se mere locality mein puja start ho raha hai. Mujhe bhi wahan jana hai to kal se main dus din ke liye 15 minute late aaungi. Aur aaj upar ke kamre ki safai karte hue mujhe ye aapka purana kitaab mila. Chuhe ne kaat liya kisi kaam ka nahi hai ab. Aur baba ne khelte hue aapka laptop gira diya tha. Ab ye on nahi hota. Thik karana hoga. Thik hai main chalti hun. Mera tabiyat thik nahi hai isliye maine dinner nahi banaya. Aj aap manage kar lena. Bye baba, aunty kal aayegi." And she left. I was stumped. 15 minutes late, there goes my yoga. And my scrapbook chewed away by mice- end of my blog. And my laptop not working- how am I to study for exams? Suddenly I was jealous of Amrit, Sachin, Varun and my boss. How organised and planned their lives and schedules are. And here I suck at managing my daily activities but why? Oh God! What have I done to offend you so much! They work at the same office as I, they live in the same society as I, they have the same working hours as I. Then what is it that makes them different. Ahhh I know. They all have a wife at home!

With all my plans gone down the drain and a hungry baby in my lap, all I could think of was - I too need a wife!

- Surinder Kaur

Source - Momspresso